The number of people reported missing to the Red Cross has risen by about 70 in five years, driven by rising conflicts and mass migration, the Geneva-based organisation said on Friday, calling for a recommitment to the rules of war.
The surging number of missing persons provides a reminder that conflict parties and those who support them are failing to protect people during war, said Pierre Krhenbhl, director-general of the International Committee of the Red Cross ICRC.
About 284,400 were reported missing by the end of last year, up from 169,500 in 2019, with conflicts in Sudan, Gaza and Ukraine among the factors driving the increase, the ICRC said. The real number is thought to be much higher.